Monday, June 2, 2014

Art Exhibit at LACMA From Ahmanson Building's 3rd floor

Hello Everyone! It's Alena here to talk about the amazing art I saw at LACMA last week. I decided to go ahead to LACMA in LA and just make a trip of it. I had visited LACMA before and I wanted to revisit some of my favorite exhibits and see what was new. I was not disappointed in what I saw, however I wasn't able to get any good pictures except for two, and thank goodness I wrote down the names of some of my favorite artworks.

This is one of my favorite works that I saw titled Selene and Endymion. It was done in the 18th century by the artist Ubando Gandolfi and depicts the moon goddess Selene watching over the tired Endymion. My picture had a bit of a glare due to the size of the art work (89 1/2 x 57 1/2 x 4 1/4 in. when framed) and how high it was hanging so I found a clear picture from the LACMA website. I found this work very captivating and I am also a big Greek mythology buff so that is another reason I was drawn to the painting.




 Another very captivating artwork I found was titled Two Girls Reading and was created in 19th century France by  Pierre-Auguste Renoir. This really caught my eye because at first from a distance I thought it was a picture. Up close it looks absolutely beautiful and the light logic of the painting seems very well done where it made a distinction from one girl to the other and caused the effect of closeness and distance.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I traveled around the 3rd floor of the Ahmanson building and stumbled into the religious section of artworks that date back mostly to the 17th century. This was one of the artworks I enjoyed that ended in a blurry picture so I snatched up the picture from the LACMA site. This work is called The Mystic Marriage of Saint Catherine  painted oil on canvas by  Bartlome Esteban Murillo. This really caught my attention and kind of made my trip worth while. The main subjects of the painting are brought to the foreground using bright colors and warm colors while the angels surrounding them almost melt into the scenery as if they were never there at all. I think that this use of colors to make the viewer focus was brilliant and excellently done especially back in the 17th century.           

















So overall these were my absolute favorite pieces in that part of the museum and it has inspired me to go there more often to see more amazing works like these. LACMA is also now on my list of museums to recommend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment